Embedded Software Engineer, Amazon Robotics Firmware Team
Join a group of the brightest engineers to develop next generation of Amazon's world class robotics and robotics safety systems. You will work with a multidisciplinary team to rapidly bring to life ground breaking ideas to full scale production devices that are trusted by thousands of associates at Amazon's facilities around the world.
We hire the world’s brightest minds and offer them an environment in which they can invent and innovate to improve the experience for our customers. We want people who will help share and shape our mission to be Earth’s most customer-centric company. Amazon’s evolution and success is driven by the spirit of invention that’s part of our DNA. We do this daily by solving complex technical and business problems with ingenuity and simplicity.
If you’re passionate about safety and performance and have an interest in robotics systems, then we’d like to talk to you about becoming part of an organization with global impact on millions of customers.
Key job responsibilities
The ideal candidate is passionate about building the right solutions for our customers and willing to work with other teams to ensure that our product will meet Amazon-scale while simultaneously raising the bar for associate's safety. They will:
- Develop and maintain both safety and non-safety rated systems used in quite possibly the world’s largest autonomous robot fleet.
- Learn and master multiple components including networking/wifi, security, and a variety of sensors.
- Participate in the architecture of these complex systems and collaborate with coworkers to realize the teams goals.
- Provide feedback in the peer review process as well as effectively communicate with technical leadership.
- Create solutions that strike the balance between world class performance and world class safety. When asked “which one comes first?” we need to find out how to do both!
A day in the life
As an Embedded Software Engineer at Amazon Robotics you will work with cross functional teams in order to develop, test, and debug both our safety and non-safety rated robotic systems. The development process will involve the participating in the design process, analysis of any potential safety hazards, and implementation of new products and features. Testing efforts involve either writing automated tests to vet the newly created features or live testing to debug and root cause issues.
In addition to normal development and testing responsibilities, software engineers are occasionally involved in live debugging our systems at Fulfillment centers.
About the team
The firmware team is a comprised of super-smart doers who work passionately to apply cutting edge advances in robotics and to solve real-world challenges.
We take our responsibility for safety seriously but strive to produce the right product that also gives us the performance we need.
We pay attention to the details so others don't have to and strive to make systems that are natural and intuitive to use so that safety doesn't need a second thought.
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
North Reading, MA, USA | Westborough, MA, USA
- 3+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
- 2+ years of non-internship design or architecture (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- Experience programming with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of development experience in C or C++ within an embedded environment or with some aspect of robotic systems. This must include direct, hands-on experience designing, developing, and debugging one of the following: consumer electronics, medical devices, automotive systems, avionics, industrial, or telecommunications product.
- 3+ years of full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent
- Familiar developing in a safety standards controlled environment such as IEC 61508 or ISO 26262.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.