Software Development Manager III, AIT - Automation Technology Development
The SW Development Manager will manage the integration and deployment lifecycle of high impact technologies including robotics, mechatronics and conveyance systems. Automation Integration Technologies – Automation Technology Development (AIT-ATD) work is broad and complex, covering multiple larger initiatives that span organizations and geographies as part of a larger business goal. Working across a range of embedded systems and material handling solutions, the team designs and owns scalable transformative solutions. The SDM will also manage the delivery of multiple small, complex projects that are tied to a larger program. The SDM manages the roadmap for the team, which includes contributing to the annual business planning process and ownership of organizational goals. The SDM helps drive the overall strategy of the team as well as working with teams inside and outside the organization to deliver. The role defines the program (mission, vision, tenets), sets goals, utilizes data, drives improvements that are quantified with metrics, and manages resource allocation. The SDM knows the systems in the product or program space, their limitations, scaling factors, boundary conditions, and reasons behind architectural choices.
Key job responsibilities
• Guide a high-performing team of engineers to scope and manage large, complex technology initiatives, delivering critical solutions, significant improvements, new mechanisms, or deprecating systems no longer needed across multiple teams and organizations.
• Responsible for the overall strategy of a large program that will successfully manage all stages (from concept to delivery). Ensure the program meets business goals and/or shows measurable improvements in efficiency or experience for customers, employees/engineers, or business area.
• Enable the deployability and scalability of key programs, developing processes and procedures for downstream customers to deploy technologies at scale.
• Responsible for adding refining, and removing mechanisms by applying project management best practices to increase the productivity and effectiveness of the teams you manage.
• Proven understanding of architectures. (e.g., workflows, APIs, runtime characteristics, design limitations, and maintenance requirements). Influence team technical priorities and business strategy through data-driven contributions. Make a case for project priorities, managing resource allocation to achieve a desired business outcome, resolve an architecture deficiency, or unblock delivery.
• Proven business communication skills to a wide range of audiences including Directors and VPs.
• Coach your team and act as force-multiplier, improving team skills and growth.
A day in the life
Amazon offers a full range of benefits that support you and eligible family members, including domestic partners and their children. Benefits can vary by location, the number of regularly scheduled hours you work, length of employment, and job status such as seasonal or temporary employment. The benefits that generally apply to regular, full-time employees include:
1. Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
2. Maternity and Parental Leave Options
3. Paid Time Off (PTO)
4. 401(k) Plan
If you are not sure that every qualification on the list above describes you exactly, we'd still love to hear from you! At Amazon, we value people with unique backgrounds, experiences, and skillsets. If you’re passionate about this role and want to make an impact on a global scale, please apply!
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
Arlington, VA, USA
- 3+ years of engineering team management experience
- 7+ years of working directly within engineering teams experience
- 3+ years of designing or architecting (design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and existing systems experience
- 8+ years of leading the definition and development of multi tier web services experience
- Knowledge of engineering practices and patterns for the full software/hardware/networks development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, certification, and livesite operations
- Experience partnering with product or program management teams
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior leadership to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
- Experience in recruiting, hiring, mentoring/coaching and managing teams of Software Engineers to improve their skills, and make them more effective, product software engineers
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.