Feature Engineer Digitalization
Feature Engineer FM>
Across ING we are embarking on a new chapter in our digital products, moving towards a more experimental and customer centered approach that leverages all of the strengths and history of our group companies, while delivering real value to millions of clients across the world.
You will be part of a team of Feature Engineers in the Financial Markets and Group Treasury tribe (FM>). The Feature Engineer is a senior role in the tribe. You are responsible for cross-team coordination and collaboration, so that teams across the ING Group work together to build the products we sell to our customers. Furthermore, you continuously improve the working practices of the tribe, while providing a positive and safe environment for our people to learn from their mistakes and from each other.
What sort of person might you be?
- You have a technical background. Ideally you have spent a large part of your career writing software, and leading software engineering teams.
- You understand the power of truly cross-functional teams, and can work alongside engineers, senior managers, and colleagues from different disciplines, to create a common goal and get the most out of all the expertise at the table.
- You’re able to translate a vision into functional- and technical software changes (features) that teams can deliver.
- You have experience with delivering features that require cross-team collaboration. You support the teams to ensure integrated development and testing.
- You’re a quick learner and have good analytical skills. Together with subject matter experts, you can design a feature or deepdive into an issue to find a solution.
- The job has a lot of freedom. That also means you need to be able to work independently and you can find your way in a new part of the organization.
- You are humble, yet confident. You have seen enough to have a toolkit you can refer to when things aren’t working, and can help others understand that there may be a different perspective or way of thinking about things, that helps them move forward.
Where can you expect to work?
- The FM> tribe is part of Wholesale Banking. Wholesale Banking is serving corporate clients and financial institutions in over 40 countries.
- Your first initiative will focus on the delivery of the Digitalization strategy of FM>. This includes the delivery of auto-pricing and auto-hedging strategies, and the onboarding of new products and venues.
- You will work in a dynamic and challenging IT environment. We operate according to the Agile Scrum development process with regular milestones, so that we get early feedback, and the business gets what they need.
- We use top notch in-house engineered solutions and market-leading vendor applications. These systems need to be running virtually 24/7. If they aren’t, our business will shut down. Therefore, the quality of our work must be high.
- Our teams are distributed across all our offices, though most teams are centered in The Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Singapore, India, and Romania. This will likely change over time as we get better at working across company locations.
- The role is based in the ING headquarters in Amsterdam. ING works in hybrid mode, which means you will work approximately 50% at home, and 50% in the office. There is a lot of freedom to choose where you work; all that matters is that you deliver.
What sort of things can you expect to do?
- You are responsible for cross-team coordination and collaboration, so that teams across the ING group work together to build the products we sell to our customers.
- You continuously improve the working practices of the tribe, while providing a positive and safe environment for our people to learn from their mistakes and from each other.
- You will focus on the delivery of the FM> roadmap. The initiatives are quite diverse. For example, you could introduce a new financial product, change the way that ING bank settles payments, or move an application to the cloud.
- An initiative can take 9 months up to 3 years. You could be in the lead from start to finish, or help out with some complex features along the way. You can also get temporarily involved when there is a need for a problem solver to get things moving.
- One day you could work with engineers to crack a technical issue, and the other day you might help senior management to define a roadmap.
You will have a broad set of responsibilities, and while it would be great if you have some experience with all of these, we will consider candidates with the right foundation who need support and coaching in some of these areas. If you’ve never worked within Financial Markets & Group Treasury, we can teach that. If you don’t have a technical background or you’ve never coordinated the delivery of software over multiple teams, that will be more of a challenge and this role probably isn’t right for you.
- You work in a dynamic, international company with a market-changing attitude and culture
- A sparkling job, a lot of flexibility, and a good work/life balance.
- Great career opportunities
- Extensive training and education possibilities
- Excellent salary package
- Public transport to commute to work is free
- Full time position (36h/week, option to work 40h/week)