Manager, Econometrics and Data Science
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummaryManager, Econometrics and Data ScienceMastercard's Data & Services business unit is a key differentiator for Mastercard, providing the services that are used by some of the world's largest organizations to make multi-million dollar decisions and grow their businesses.
Mastercard economics institute
The Mastercard Economics Institute’s mission is to drive macroeconomic thought leadership for customers, partners and policy makers. It was launched in 2020 to analyze and forecast emerging trends using unique, high frequency and actionable economic measurement to drive smarter decisions and better outcomes for all stakeholders. The institute produces expert forecasting and bespoke analysis; vertical specific scenario assessment; global, regional, local economic views incorporating spend insights; unique economic measurements. The institute constitutes a team of economists and data scientists that utilize & synthesize assets both from within Mastercard and beyond to bring powerful insights to life
About the role:
We are looking for an econometrician to join Mastercard’s Economics Institute’s data science and econometrics team. This individual will be critical to growing the institute’s ability to support and enhance revenue products like advisory services, disseminate content to our stakeholders, and perform quality research. The team provides economic and data science services to leading corporations as well as within Mastercard. We are looking for an individual who will:
• Link Mastercard data with official economic data to better understand spending at online and brick and mortar establishments
• Expand and improve existing models to achieve more accurate forecasts
• Leverage Mastercard data to improve macro forecasting via nowcasting
• Improve variable selection and reduction techniques to identify high quality predictive variables
• Improve model estimation approaches and model back testing
• Research and integrate econometric and statistical models as needed to create insights and compelling visualizations of macroeconomic trends to develop interactive dashboards/apps for client presentations
• Participate in every stage of a project from briefing to ideation, to content development to draft/prototyping, testing, feedback collection and finalization
• Creative & passionate about statistics/math, economics, data, technology, and its applications, with an entrepreneurial mindset open to new ideas
• A good foundation in different econometric modeling approaches and demonstrated success explaining variable selection and model performance
• A demonstrated interest in quantitative approaches and statistics with the ability to communicate economics in a non-technical manner
• Expertise in economic forecasting using R, Python, Julia or similar languages;
• Interest/experience in some of the following: machine learning (supervised and unsupervised), NLP, synthetic controls and agent-based models.
• Quantitative modeling experience 2-3 years, ideally technology/financial, academic or adjacent field
• Good foundation in economics with an advanced degree in math/statistics/quantitative field
• Strong collaborator and independent thinker
• Previous client-facing experience, proficient in synthesizing data to create insights, great storyteller
• Excellent at managing multiple projects and tight timelines with an ability to reprioritize as situation might require and staying calm under pressure
• Evidence of creativity/innovation/unorthodox thinking in data driven economics
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.