Sr. Analyst, Economist, Canada
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummarySr. Analyst, Economist, CanadaOverview of the Institute
• the Mastercard Economics Institute’s mission is to drive macroeconomic thought leadership in support of Mastercard’s efforts to build a more inclusive and sustainable digital economy
• the Economics Institute was launched in 2020 to analyze macroeconomic trends through the lens of the consumer to deliver tailored and actionable insights on economic issues for key customers, partners and policymakers.
• In addition to global and regional macro-economic trends, the institute also produces thematic research on economic trends.
• the institute constitutes a team of economists and data scientists that utilize & synthesize data sets both from within Mastercard and beyond to bring powerful insights to life
• the institute delivers tailored 1:1 presentations, participates in key industry forums, and contributes to global thought leadership via thematic papers, organizing events and participating in media
about the role
we are looking for an economist who will focus on creating custom and actionable economic insights. This individual will report to the Chief Economist and have the following responsibilities:
• assist in developing and maintaining macroeconomic views for Canada
• support creation of briefing documents for Mastercard leadership teams and regional advisory boards
• contribute to thought leadership for the region to better explore data and economic relationships with output in blog-style research notes
• assist in creating content to represent Mastercard in customer forums and industry events positioning us as an industry leader with highly differentiated capabilities
• help drive the story creation and tailored presentations for each customer presentation to develop custom and actionable insights
• work with the data science/quantitative economists to explore alternative data sets, modeling and forecasting to push the boundaries of more traditional economics
• a trained economist with intimate knowledge of the Canadian economy
• strong collaborator across teams within the institute and broader mastercard
• evidence of both orthodox and experimental approaches in economic thinking and application with an entrepreneurial mindset
• manage complex projects and timelines effectively
• must have good knowledge of econometrics and economic relationships
• familiarity with coding in SQL, R, Python, Tableau and other analytical tools
• openness to new ideas, approaches, challenges and environments
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.