Senior Software Engineer
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummarySenior Software EngineerAs a Senior Software Engineer in Data Platform & Engineering Services, with your strong technical skills to help our platform and services establish a true DevOps capability. You will be partnering with the data engineering team, so the ability to influence and provide operational guidance is key. Initially, the focus will be contributing to the development of operational tools and practices that help maintain service availability across hosted and cloud-based infrastructure. You must have an understanding of the full stack and how systems are built as well as a grasp of operational best practices.
• Partner on the design the next implementation of Mastercard secure, global data and insight architecture, building new Stream processing capabilities and operationalizing Apache Nifi platform.
• Identify and resolve performance bottlenecks either proactively
• Work with the customer support group as needed to resolve performance issues in the field
• Explore automation opportunity and develop tools to automate some of the day to day operations tasks
• Provide performance metrics and maintain dashboards to reflect production systems health
• Conceptualize and implement proactive monitoring where possible to catch issues early
• Experiment with new tools to streamline the development, testing, deployment, and running of our data pipelines.
• Work with cross functional agile teams to drive projects through full development cycle.
• Help the team improve with the usage of data engineering best practices.
• Collaborate with other data engineering teams to improve the data engineering ecosystem and talent within Mastercard.
• Creatively solve problems when facing constraints, whether it is the number of developers, quality or quantity of data, compute power, storage capacity or just time.
• Maintain awareness of relevant technical and product trends through self-learning/study, training classes and job shadowing.
All About You
• At least Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Technology related field or equivalent work experience
• 2+ years of hands-on experience in data pipeline and orchestration through Apache Nifi
• 5+ years of experience in Data Warehouse related projects in product or service based organization
• 3+ years as a DevOps Engineer
• 2+ years of experience overall with experience as a software engineer or software architect
• Experience solving for scalability, Performance and stability
• Expert knowledge of Linux operating systems and environment and Scripting (Shell and Python preferred)
• A deep expertise in your field of Software Engineering
• Expert at troubleshooting complex system and application stacks
• Operational Experience in Big Data Stacks (Hadoop ecosystem, and Spark)
• Operational Experience in real-time ,streaming and data pipelines relevant frameworks ( Kafka and NiFi is a plus)
• Operational experience troubleshooting network/server communication
• Experience with performance Tuning of Database Schemas, Databases, SQL, ETL Jobs, and related scripts
• Expertise in enterprise metrics/monitoring with frameworks such as Splunk, Grafana
• Experience with cloud computing services, particularly deploying and running services in Azure or GCP
• A belief in data driven analysis and problem solving and a proven track record in applying these principles
• An organized approach the planning and execution of major projects
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.