D&S LAC - Counsel
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummaryD&S LAC - CounselCounsel - IC
Mastercard is seeking an experienced attorney to join its Latin America & Caribbean legal team to be responsible for providing comprehensive, end-to-end legal support to the Data & Services business group.
Who is Mastercard?
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. Our mission is to connect and power a digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion across more than 210 countries and territories, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company.
Mastercard Data & Services
Mastercard Data & Services provides end-to-end solutions through its innovative and proprietary transaction data analyses, data-driven consulting, predictive analyses, and marketing and loyalty services to help our clients strategically optimize, streamline, and grow their businesses.
Mastercard Data & Services Latin America & Caribbean legal team
The Mastercard D&S Latin America & Caribbean legal team is responsible for supporting the D&S Latin America & Caribbean business and negotiating and drafting contracts with customers and key stakeholders, managing issues related to licensing, franchise, marketing and promotions, products and services offerings, regulatory, competition and legal affairs, acquisitions and joint ventures, restructurings, dispute resolutions, and other day-to-day operational issues.
• Structure, draft, and negotiate commercial contracts ranging from simple statements of work to complex partnership and novel/strategic deals. Typical agreements include transactional agreements, consulting agreements, platform agreements, SaaS agreements, marketing and promotional campaign agreements;
• Align and collaborate across various business and legal teams, including with other Data & Services legal team members and Latin America & Caribbean region counsels;
• Develop, assist with and execute global initiatives in the region to support the evolution of the Data & Services legal team and the support it provides;
• Collaborate with team members on product development and go-to-market implementation;
• Be a strategic partner and trusted advisor to a dynamic and demanding business unit, counseling the business on deal matters as well as general legal and business matters. This will involve a high level of interaction with business clients;
• Manage wide-ranging issues such as data usage/privacy, intellectual property, compliance, regulatory, and tax by partnering with subject matter experts in these areas and other stakeholder teams, and balancing these issues against reputational and other risks to ensure product constructs and commercial agreements are consistent with corporate strategy, internal policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations; and
• Provide back-up support to other colleagues on the D&S legal team as needed.
The position is located in Mexico City. As our team supports the business across the Latin America & Caribbean region and connects with colleagues around the globe, the role will require some travel and ability to support other time zones.
All About You
• Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor from an established and reputable law school. Fully qualified attorney.
• Ability to grasp complex new business concepts quickly and develop and implement creative approaches to problems while identifying and balancing risks with results.
• Familiarity with law and regulations in the banking and payments space will be considered favorably.
• Minimum post-qualification experience of 4 years.
• Relevant post-qualification experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable law firm and/or multinational company. Some in-house experience in a multinational company is strongly desired.
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Must be able to strike a balance between the two principal objectives of being a facilitator to the business and protecting the interests of the company.
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization.
• Good commercial acumen and creative approach to problem-solving.
• Experience in handling competition law issues.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the Data & Services business.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.