SVP, General Counsel, Middle East and Africa
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummarySVP, General Counsel, Middle East and AfricaOverview:
The General Counsel EEMEA oversees the legal and regulatory needs of a diverse and high-growth region. This role will be the primary legal service provider for the Eastern European, Middle East and Africa (EEMEA) countries, responsible for supporting the legal aspects of the countries in region. This role is a business relationship manager, who partners with business leaders to help shape and execute against our strategy, working cross-functionally. The legal team demonstrates decency and personal accountability to help lead the business forward through hands-on engagement, partnership and strategic value creation. The candidate must demonstrate sound business and legal judgement, thrive in a fast-paced environment, with a diverse workload, and have a proven track record of providing pragmatic and proactive legal advice. The candidate must have extensive experience providing both tactical and strategic legal support to executive level business professionals. This role also has matrix responsibility for overseeing the Public Policy, Compliance, Risk and Franchise matters of the region. Partnering closely with those respective leadership teams and providing holistic counsel to EEMEA leadership.
Dual reporting to the General Counsel of Asia Pacific, Europe Middle East and Africa (APEEMEA) and President of EEMEA, the appointed person is expected to be a seasoned general manager that will help the region embrace new opportunities and provide strategic support to anticipate and address existing and new challenges.
Mastercard has its Regional Headquarters in Dubai, APEEMEA Headquarters in London and its Global Headquarters in New York. The position is located in Dubai and will require travel as necessary to various countries within region.
• Generally responsible for all the legal support related to EEMEA region including litigation, anti trust strategy, privacy, regulatory matters, drafting, review and negotiation of commercial contracts with clients and suppliers, managing the corporate entities, creating new entities, corporate housekeeping, M&A deals or product agreements.
•Member of the EEMEA management team and APEEMEA Legal management team.
• Provide expert and strategic legal advice to the EEMEA management, which includes anticipating issues and estimate risks strategically, identifying proactive solutions that will eliminate or mitigate risks and supporting the business in its commercial and strategic role
• Manage a team of professional by overseeing daily workloads and assignment of projects as well as coaching, mentoring and providing consistent feedback.
• Attract, develop, direct, motivate and drive performance from team
• Base your decision making process on ethics and integrity
• Manage external legal counsels in the assigned countries.
• Monitor legislative and regulatory developments
•Deal with external parties (regulators, politicians, clients)
• Work together with the other members of the Law and Policy Department in view of delivering an outstanding service to the business in a spirit of an integrated and streamlined approach which fits both into the local/regional and global strategy.
All About You:
• Law Degree from a reputable University; any additional qualifications including on an international level are an asset
• Significant experience in general commercial legal matters in a reputable law firm and/or as in-house lawyer, preferably in the financial services, banking or technology sector
• Significant experience in EEMEA region
• significant experience in dealing with external stakeholders in the EEMEA region
• Must be a strategic leader and be able to effectively discuss with and advise executive level management regarding complex matters or challenging situations
• Ability to function independently and juggle multiple priorities
• Experience in providing legal support to US organizations and experience in corporate law, considered an asset.
• Experience in people management, both attorneys and non-attorneys and demonstrate strong leadership qualities.
• Must be able to contribute and operate effectively within a diverse multicultural organization.
• Should be team player who is both organizationally savvy and a strong communicator, and is able to collaborate cross-functionally
• Good commercial judgment and creative approach to problem-solving.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.