Senior Software Engineer (Fullstack)
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummarySenior Software EngineerOverview
Mastercard strives to be the trusted network for empowering small businesses to grow and thrive through compelling products and solutions accessible from our B2B customers and partners. This segment is central to Mastercard's growth strategy - not only because of the impact Small & Medium Enterprises have on local, regional, and global economies but also because of their significant role in the payment ecosystem as buyers and sellers.
Mastercard is a trusted partner by millions of small and medium businesses, enabling them to accept payments globally. This organization's goal is to add value by further addressing other areas, including their daily activities, business growth, cash flow management, etc.
SME Engineering's organizational goal is to build innovative solutions and products that enable Mastercard to provide competitive solutions to small and medium businesses.
Senior Software Engineer on products focused on Access to Capital – This team will be focused on all the products/functionality to enable SMEs to Access Capital. This domain will be accountable to create systems/components that can manage the lifecycle of an SME from – the need for capital, streamlining the search for sources, enabling lenders with visibility/confidence to lend to SME and the end-to-end process involved in this journey.
• Responsible for the analysis, design, development and delivery of software solutions
• Defines requirements for new applications and customizations, adhering to standards, processes and best practices
• Participate in team prioritization discussions with Product/Business stakeholders
• Estimate and own delivery tasks (design, dev, test, deployment, configuration, documentation) to meet the business requirements
• Automate build, operate, and run aspects of software
• Drive code/design/process trade-off discussions within their team when required
• Report status and manage risks within their primary application/service
• Drive integration of services focusing on customer journey and experience
• Perform demos/acceptance discussions in interacting with Product owners
• Understands operational and engineering experience, actively works to improve experience and metrics in ownership area
• Develop complete understanding of end-to-end technical architecture and dependency systems
• Drive adoption of technology standards and opinionated frameworks, and review coding, test, and automation work of team members
• Mentor and guide new and less-experienced team members
• Identify opportunities to improve an overall process and trim waste
• Share and seek knowledge within their Guild/Program to drive reuse of patterns/libraries/practices and enhance productivity
• Understands the basic engineering principles used in building and running mission critical software capabilities (security, customer experience, testing, operability, simplification, service-oriented architecture)
• Understands internals of operating systems (Windows, Linux) to write interoperable and performant code
• Able to perform debugging and troubleshooting to analyze core, heap, thread dumps and remove coding errors
• Understands and implements standard branching (e.g., Gitflow) and peer review practices
• Has skills in test driven and behavior driven development (TDD and BDD) to build just enough code and collaborate on the desired functionality
• Understands use cases for advanced design patterns (e.g., service-to-worker, MVC, API gateway, intercepting filter, dependency injection, lazy loading, all from the gang of four) to implement efficient code
• Understands and implements Application Programming Interface (API) standards and cataloging to drive API/service adoption and commercialization
• Has skills to author test code with lots of smaller tests followed by few contract tests at service level and fewer journey tests at the integration level (Test Pyramid concept)
• Apply tools (e.g., Sonar, Zally, Checkmarx ) and techniques to scan and measure code quality and anti-patterns as part of development activity
• Has skills to collaborate with team and business stakeholders to estimate requirements (e.g., story pointing) and prioritize based on business value
• Has skills to elaborate and estimate non-functional requirements, including security (e.g., data protection, authentication, authorization), regulatory, and performance (SLAs, throughput, transactions per second)
• Has skills to orchestrate release workflows and pipelines, and apply standardized pipelines via APIs to achieve CI and CD using industry standard tools (e.g., Jenkins, AWS/Azure pipelines, XL Release, others).
• Has skills to understand, report, and optimize delivery metrics to continuously improve upon them (e.g., velocity, throughput, lead time, defect leakage, burndown)
• Has skills to document and drive definition-of-done for requirements to meet both business and operational needs
• Understands how to build robust tests to minimize defect leakage by performing regression, performance, deployment verification, and release testing
• Has skills to conduct product demos and co-ordinate with product owners to drive product acceptance signoffs
• Has skills to Understands customer journeys and ensure a Mastercard good experience by continuously reducing Mean time to mitigate (MTTM) for incidents and ensuring high availability (99.95% as a starting point)In the US, Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.