Database Engineer II
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummaryDatabase Engineer IIJob Description Summary
• Provide world-class support and expertise to all of MasterCard’s NoSQL database environments.
• MasterCard’s Database Architects set the direction for the enterprise leadership to design and build highly available, scalable and efficient NoSQL database solutions.
• Represent MasterCard’s Database Engineering team as a subject matter expert in the NoSQL sub domain.
• Continually look for opportunities to create efficiencies and provide expertise to integrate technologies and platforms into current environments within the NoSQL sub domain.
• Provide leadership and contribute to technology roadmaps to support MasterCard’s vision for all NoSQL technologies.
• What technologies do you have hands-on experience with, and what degree is that experience?
• In your current role, what new database technologies have you integrated into your current environment and how?
• What experience do you have with data migration and integration from multiple systems?
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
• Forward thinking infrastructure automation and scripting skills.
• Leads in managing clients expectations and communicates proactively.
• Displays excellent collaborative skills to facilitate cross-functional teams.
• Ability to work with team members located in multiple geographies and time zones.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision seeking direction as required.
• The NoSQL DBA will be responsible for designing, deploying and maintaining NOSQL database clusters that will enable and enhance software products and systems used every day by large platforms, applications and groups of users.
• The DBA should have advanced knowledge of some industry standard NoSQL databases such as (MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, etc.) Including creation and implementation of fully functional NoSQL database clusters, ability to maintain multiple development, QA and production NoSQL environments with strong experience in performance tuning.
• Review existing configurations and installations and provide design decisions for improvements to platform environments.
• Assist in planning and performing NoSQL database upgrades and migrations.
• Responsible for providing day-to-day administration support and maintenance for existing and new NoSQL databases.
• Perform production level support and be part of the on call rotation when required.
• Work with NoSQL vendors and their respected support channels when required.
• This position will be responsible for supporting new and existing NoSQL database systems, both internally and future Cloud managed instances and will help guide best practices in database administration, and introduce innovation with automation.
• Work with multiple application teams and developers.
• Lead and set direction for MasterCard’s use of best practices and application NoSQL database solutions.
• Work with management to plan and implement new strategies including new tools and products that provide data services.
• Assist in implementing long-term strategic goals for database development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
• Implement HA solutions and define backup/recovery strategies.
• Identify inefficiencies in current databases and implement improved solutions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information systems or equivalent experience.
• Requires 2 years of related experience in the design, maintenance, and administration of NOSQL databases (MongoDB preferred).
• Knowledge in AWS Cloud solutions and databases (AWS Certification preferred).
• Excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Previous SQL Server and/or Oracle or PostgreSQL database administration experience is a definite plus.
• Perform debugging, tuning and performance enhancement as well as automation of operational and continuous integration of NOSQL Database platform.
• Proficient with the Linux operating system.
• Working knowledge of Data Modelling.
• Working knowledge of scripting languages, Bash, ksh, Python etc.
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.