Product Manager - Open Banking
Are you curious, excited by experimentation and always looking for a better way of doing things?
Do you want to keep learning and developing whilst getting hands-on experience working in the embedded payments space?
Do you want to have the opportunity to contribute to within UK Payments and Open Banking Product area?
If so, we would love to hear from you!
We are looking to hire ambitious, and value-adding talent to join Modulr, the fastest growing payments business in the UK and Europe. This is a new role at Modulr and will play a key part in scaling the sales organisation. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a high-growth environment with a mandate to drive new processes within a fast-paced and collaborative culture where you will have access to the latest technologies.
At Modulr our mission is to move money efficiently to power business productivity. We are building a new digital payments service to make money flow more efficiently through businesses and the economy. This is a new type of payments account that is built for businesses that need faster, easier and more reliable ways to move money.
Our flexible platform and innovate approach allows our customers to utilise our payments account instead of a traditional bank account. Our accounts come with a sort code and account number, access to payment systems (eg Faster Payments and Visa) and everything our customers need from a payments account. They can instantly open as many accounts as they need, automate how they make and receive payments as well as the reconciliation processes these create. All in real time, 24/7 through their own systems utilising our API that integrates into any platform.
Our founding team has a wealth of experience in the payments industry and growing successful businesses. Modulr is backed by payments giants PayPal Ventures and FIS Ventures, as well as startup and scale up specialists Blenheim Chalcot, General Atlantic and Highland Europe which enables us to leverage their resources and expertise to drive our growth initiatives. These partnerships provide us with the necessary provisions to propel our business to new heights.
The sheer versatility of our platform allows us to support many different businesses, use cases and solve a wide variety of customer problems. In Product we’ve organised ourselves around two questions; what are the specific payment needs of customers in our strategic verticals and how can our platform capabilities solve them (i.e. what is our proposition?) and secondly what are the functional capabilities that we need to build and maintain to support them.
Product Management at Modulr is a rewarding, hands-on role where you can truly “roll your sleeves up” and make a difference. Acting as the Product Owner for a dedicated Engineering squad and working with our Vertical Product Managers and other stakeholders, you’re responsible for the design, build and delivery of the products and functional capabilities that make up the propositions used by our clients.
What you can expect to be doing
- Acting as a subject matter expert for products in the UK Payments and Open Banking portfolio, developing a deep understanding of how they work and the UK payment systems underpinning them (such as Faster Payments, Bacs, CHAPS, Confirmation of Payee, Open Banking and the New Payments Architecture).
- Staying abreast of changes in the industry and the regulatory landscape which impact your products so that you can seek to continually improve them.
- Working closely with our Vertical Product Managers to develop an understanding of the value proposition of your products, their positioning in each vertical and the customers using them.
- Supporting the development of the overarching product vision and strategy.
- Carrying out and documenting the required analysis to create new product backlog items/ feature briefs in response to industry/ regulatory changes or to support new requirements coming from specific verticals, ensuring compliance with regulatory, payment scheme and operational standards.
- Communicating effectively with your squad and Engineering colleagues so that product requirements are well understood and that there is a shared vision, purpose and buy in.
- Collaborating with Engineering to produce elegant technical designs and best-in-class solutions that can be delivered incrementally so that our customers and stakeholders gain value as early as possible.
- Owning the product and technical roadmap for your squad and working with them to prioritise initiatives, carefully and pragmatically balancing the needs of product, support and platform initiatives.
- Maintaining your squad’s product and technology backlogs, ensuring that they are always healthy and there is always a steady stream of “ready” work available.
- Reviewing and validating that product increments delivered meet the requirements, adapting and evolving as necessary.
- Supporting product deployments and product launches ensuring that any risks/ business impacts are actively managed ahead of go-live.
- Using your domain expertise to support your squad to resolve customer/ operational issues with your products by providing business context or guidance on payment scheme rules for example.
- Maintaining well written documentation such as product and system knowledge articles, release notes, operational procedures and customer facing documentation.
- Taking responsibility for delivery, creating and maintaining plans for larger initiatives and regularly communicating updates on progress, ensuring that any risks, issues and dependencies are pro-actively managed.
- Monitoring the performance and scalability of your products against KPIs, ensuring issues are triaged and resolved in a timely manner, while also responding to changes in the market and client demands.
- Actively managing key supplier relationships.
- Comfortable operating at pace and able to balance multiple priorities within an exciting high-growth scale-up environment where elements of change and uncertainty are the norm and to be expected.
- Strong communication, collaboration and stakeholder management skills, confident operating at all levels.
- Prior experience as a Business Analyst, Systems Analyst or Product Owner.
- Full software delivery lifecycle experience (from concept to customer).
- Experience working with squads using a variety of methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail, able to communicate requirements in a variety of formats as appropriate (e.g. customer journey creation, wireframes, sequence diagrams, process maps).
- Knowledge of APIs.
- SQL skills an advantage.
- XML, JSON experience an advantage.
- Product Certification an advantage (such as Certification in Product Ownership).
What can Modulr offer you
You’ll be part of a cross disciplinary team (s), with co-workers located in Edinburgh, London, Amsterdam or India. We are friendly and sociable, challenging but rewarding. We want you to push yourself and for us to support you in your future as we scale up and grow. Our culture and values are putting you first and are about investing in your future.
- Share Options Incentive Scheme
- Company Bonus - the more successful we are together, the more company bonus we offer
- Flexible benefits - £1000 to spend on a variety of benefits for you to choose from which suit your lifestyle and needs
- Perkbox - enjoy freebies and discounts on many other products and services
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays) + your birthday off - choose which days you take off to relax and/or spend time with loved ones
- Learning Opportunities – on joining Modulr you will embark on our 3-day onboarding programme, called modstart, to be equipped with the Modulr know-how and arm you with the tools you need to be successful from day 1! But, we don’t want your learning to stop there so we will continue to provide you with the tools and capabilities through our learning channels, platforms and buddy allocation to allow you to grow and develop in Modulr
- Modulr All hands - join your colleagues for our company wide events throughout the year
- Great workspace - Modulr thrives on innovation which is best done through in-person collaboration. This approach enables us to work together closely, exchange ideas, and create innovative solutions that drive our success. We have state of the art offices located in WeWork in Edinburgh, ScaleSpace in London, and WeWork in Amsterdam
- Bike to work scheme
We believe that diversity is essential to our success and welcome individuals from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to join our team. If you share our values and enjoy working in a dynamic and exciting environment, we encourage you to explore our available positions and join us in shaping the future of Modulr.