Lead Commercial Counsel (APAC)
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
Nium, Global Leader in Payments
Nium was founded on the mission to build the global payments infrastructure of tomorrow, today. With the onset of the on-demand economy, its single platform for global payments and card issuing is shaping how banks, fintechs, and businesses everywhere to disburse and collect funds instantly across borders. Its payout network supports 100 currencies and spans 195+ countries, 100 of which in real-time. Funds can be disbursed to accounts, wallets, and cards and collected locally in 35 markets.
Nium’s growing card issuance business is already available in 34 countries. Nium holds regulatory licenses and authorizations in over 40 countries, enabling seamless onboarding, rapid integration, and compliance – regardless of geography. The company is co-headquartered in San Francisco and Singapore, with regional offices in London, Amsterdam, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Chennai.
Where do you come into the picture?
Nium’s Global Legal Team works at the intersection of financial technology and regulatory frameworks. Our work helps Nium build delightful and innovative products, understand and manage risks, and creatively navigate complexity and challenges, both external and internal.
We’re looking for a fast-learning and dynamic Commercial Counsel, based out of our Singapore office, to help accelerate Nium’s rapid growth by structuring and negotiating complex commercial agreements with our largest customers and partners, and scaling our commercial legal infrastructure.
As our Lead Commercial Counsel in APAC, you’ll work with the sales and GTM teams in APAC and globally, product, finance, legal, compliance and other teams. You’ll be leading on a range of high impact commercial matters including deals with our largest customers, financial partners and vendors, as well as building scalable commercial legal infrastructure such as form agreements, online terms and playbooks.
What would a day in your life @Nium look like?
- You’ll work with Nium Sales and GTM teams to structure and negotiate complex agreements for the provision of cutting edge payments solutions to customers across industry verticals including banking and FinTech, global payroll, expense and AR/AP management, travel, online marketplaces and others.
- You’ll partner with sales, product, engineering, compliance and other legal team members to build commercial legal infrastructure to deliver our products and services to our customers efficiently and at scale, including form agreements, online terms, and playbooks.
- You’ll help to improve how Nium engages with its customers by creating great legal experiences for them and continuing to iterate and improve on legal aspects of Nium’s products and services.
- You’ll support Nium’s product and infrastructure development by working with our procurement, product and other teams in negotiating a range of business-critical vendor agreements.
- You’ll actively collaborate with a wide variety of other teams at Nium, including marketing, finance, HR, compliance and others on a range of issues to enable Nium’s continued global expansion.
- You’ll proactively identify other areas at Nium where you can add value and determine how to execute on those priorities.
What we're looking for
- You will have 10+ years of experience as a qualified lawyer in an in-house legal team, top law firm and/or government agency.
- You have deep expertise in commercial contracts (and building related commercial legal infrastructure) developed working at, or with, high growth companies.
- You’re highly collaborative, inquisitive, and solutions-oriented.
- You’re biased towards action and impact, and no task is too big or too small for you; you can roll up your sleeves and get things done.
- You have exceptional verbal and interpersonal communication skills, can build strong relationships with business colleagues, and can simplify legal concepts and communicate them in easy-to-understand language.
- You are curious, passionate about your work and innovative technology, and enjoy a fast-paced working environment.
- You’re humble and low ego, have a strong desire to grow and learn, and have a deep commitment to your teammates.
What we offer at Nium
We Value Performance: Through competitive salaries, performance bonuses, uncapped sales commissions & annual salary reviews, we ensure that all our employees are rewarded and incentivized for their hard work
We care for our Employees: The wellness of Nium’ers is our #1 priority, we offer medical coverage along with 24/7 employee assistance program & generous vacations, and year-end shut down. We also provide flexible working & a hybrid working environement (3 days per week in the office)
We Upskill Ourselves: We are curious, always want to learn more & upskill ourselves: We therefore do not only provide role-specific traning but also offer all our employees LinkedIn learning solutions & dedicated learning allowances
We Constantly Innovate: Nium has been awarded multiple times for its constant innovations & growth since our inception, such as the 2022 CBI 250 Most Promising Fintech Award or the 2021 Financial Time top 50 High Growth companies in APAC
We Celebrate Together: Work is also about having fun with your colleagues & creating great relationships. We often celebrate together through company-wide social events, team bounding activities, happy hours, team offsites, and so much more!
We thrive with Diversity: Nium has always thrived with a diverse & multicultural workforce, with more than 33 nationalities across 18+ countries. As an Equality Opportunity Employer, we are committed to providing a safe & welcoming environment for everyone.
What's it like to be a Nium'er?
At Nium we center our way of work around 3 core values globally:
#KeepItSimple: We cut through complexity, simplify at speed and operate with scale in mind
#MakeItBetter: We build innovative solutions that make our customers' lives better
#WinItTogether: We win in this competitive market by collaborating as one team
For more information visit www.nium.com